5k Teacher

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Rounding Sparks!

For those of you who know me, this will not come as a surprise. I LOVE to sing and it has been my mission since I began teaching to be able to use songs with my instruction. Now, I have used raps and such in the past to teach different concepts but they have been pretty basic and not really songs the students could make a connection to. Well, this summer I began writing a place value song to the tune of I gotta feeling. My kids learned it last week and LOVE it. They request to sing it, well maybe I encourage this a little :) One even told me he sang the song while getting ready for school this morning. As I began to plan our grade level math lessons for next week I new it was time for a NEW song. We are beginning to teach rounding next Thursday so I have created a rounding song to Katy Perry's Firework.

Enjoy!


Rounding Sparks!
(Sing to the tune of Katy Perry’s Firework)

First you have to read, the question given
It says you have to round, but where do you begin?
Does it say to round, round the nearest what?
Or does it say, round to the 10s?

Well, how do you round? Let’s do it know
Start with circling; the place value given is a simple thing
Underline number right tells you what to do
Causes there’s a rounding spark !


You gotta ignite the steps and work it right
Just own the problem and round it right

Place Value, I will circle you
Underline tells me what to do
5 plus, circle goes up, up, up
1-4, circle stays the same


By: Kristin Justice

No comments:

Post a Comment