5k Teacher

Friday, August 12, 2011

Tech Fest 2011

What a day! I had a blast at PCS Tech Fest 2011. It was awesome. I am so pumped and filled with ideas on how to incorporate various new technologies in my class this year. For those of you who have NO clue what Tech Fest is, it is a full day of short workshops on how to use, demonstrate and incorporate iPADs, iTouches, NOOKS etc. into the classroom. Here are some highlights of my day.

One of the first workshops I went to was Classrooms Without Walls I was very interested in the title and boy did it sure meet all of my expectations. This class was based around using Skype, Fring and other video conferencing tools to enhance student learning. One example they list on the Tech Fest Wiki is to Skype with an author. I think that would be such a neat thing to do with our class after or even during an author study. As I was listening to their ideas my mind was instantly trying to figure out how I could use this technology with my kids. Any suggestions? I would love to hear your thoughts.

I have recently purchased a NOOK (and LOVE it) so of course I attended the Nooks for Struggling Readers Workshop. I am so excited to share NOOKs with my students. I really think that this will decrease any anxiety our children may have when reading books on THEIR level.

I am so glad that my county provides workshops like this one. Our society is so technology based that this workshop allows teachers to see what our kids are being exposed to. There was even a Wii and Connect workshop in the media center, how cool is that? I am definitely excited about using the strategies I learned today. Also, I would love to hear from you. What are your thoughts about using Skype in the classroom? Any suggestions on lessons?


Happy Weekend!

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment